Coronavirus service changes for licensing
We are working to minimise the impact of the coronavirus on our services. For that reason, we have introduced temporary changes to our licensing services.
Vehicle testing station update
Our vehicle testing station reopened on 27 July 2020 offering a reduced service. It fully reopened on 7 September.
The services that will be available are as follows:
- annual inspections of licensed vehicles before a licence is renewed, including any re-tests that may be required
- mid-term inspections for LCC licensed vehicles
- inspections of previously unlicensed vehicles, before a licence is issued (subject to appointment availability).
- inspections of vehicles licensed by Oadby and Wigston Brorough Council
- public MOT tests
- New driver applications are not currently being processed. It is not currently possible to complete all the necessary checks.
- New vehicle applications have restarted as the pre-licensing vehicle inspection can now be undertaken (subject to VTS appointment availability).
- Renewal applications will be prioritised and are to be submitted online with relevant documents attached. Please see below for more information.
- The temporary waiver of the requirement for a pre-licensing vehicle inspection ended on Sunday 9 August 2020.
- If we cannot produce licences, badges, plates or door signs as normal, we will send an email confirming the outcome. Where a licence has been granted, we will attach a PDF copy of the licence. In such cases licence holders must display their existing licence/badge/plate and keep the emailed letter with them in case of any query
- Licences, badges, plates and door signs will be issued as soon as possible and will be posted to the licence holder’s correspondence address.
Licensing (other than taxis)
- We are prioritising tasks to ensure taxis can continue to operate and to meet statutory deadlines for other areas of licensing
- Please apply online or by email, as we are unable to collect posted applications on a regular basis
- Payments can be taken by phone
- Hearings will be held online within the normal timescales if at all possible
- We will monitor premises closures and other business activities under emergency legislation
- We aim to respond to issues that arise, without visits unless essential.
- The Business and Planning Act 2020 makes temporary provision for street cafes. More information is available on our temporary street cafe licence page. Please note that street cafes may not be used during the Tier 3 restrictions.
- The 2020 Act also allows extended off sales of alcohol in certain circumstances. More information and an online form is available on our premises licence page. Please note that this does not apply during the Tier 3 restrictions.
Renewal of existing driver licences
You can apply to renew you hackney carriage/private hire driver licence using the link below.
Before the form loads, you will be required to create an account which will save your personal details for any future applications, as well as enabling you to access other online council services.
You will need to upload copies of your DVLA driving licence (both sides) and details of the DVLA Check Code that you have received from the DVLA.
Once received you will receive an email confirming that we have received your application. This email will tell you that we will check your application and then send you a further email confirming how long you can have a licence for and what other checks need to be done, for example, DBS Check/Medical/Diabetic report.
This email will contain a link to make the payment and allow you to upload any other documents that we require of you.
Renewal vehicle licence
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we have limited access to essential IT systems used to process applications received. However, you will find all the information you need to renew your vehicle licences below. All applications and supporting documents must be emailed to us at: email@example.com. Once received and processed, we will call you to take payment.
Our phone lines are open between 10am and 2pm. Please only call if you cannot find the answer to your question on our webpage. Our staff are busy processing applications.
Submitted an application?
If you have submitted an application to us we will be in touch with you in due course, please be patient and await our email or call.
Are you waiting for a badge to be posted?
If you are waiting for a badge to be posted to you these are done in batches when we are able to access our offices so please be patient – you will have received your licence by email keep this with you.
Are you waiting for a plate and/or door signs?
If you are waiting for a plate and/or door signs these are posted by our supplier directly to you – again these are done in batches so please be patient.
If you are wanting to find out how to apply to renew or apply for a licence all the information can be found on our web pages – or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to thank you for your patience during this difficult time, but be assured that we are still working hard to ensure that you receive your renewed licences as soon as they are processed.