Skip to content

Coronavirus in Leicester - ALPHA

Get the latest information and advice

Licensing service changes

We have made temporary changes to our licensing services due to the coronavirus - get more details.

Alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment

You will need a licence from us if you want to provide alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment in the city. It is an offence to carry out these activities without authorisation.

What you need a licence for

You will need a licence from us if you want to:

  • Sell or supply alcohol
  • Provide regulated entertainment (films, plays, performance of dance, indoor sport, boxing or wrestling, live or recorded music)
  • Provide late night refreshment.

Licensing objectives

The licensing objectives are:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • public safety
  • protection of children from harm

All applications and representations must relate to one or more of the licensing objectives.

Responsible authorities

There are a number of responsible authorities who have powers and duties in relation to the licensing regime for alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment. Contact details are available below.


The responsible authorities and 'any other person' may make representation about an application for a new premises licence or club premises certificate, or an application to vary an existing licence or certificate. They may also apply for an existing licence or certificate to be reviewed, if one or more of the licensing objectives are not being met. Representations must be made in writing and may be made by post or by email:


If a relevant representation is made, the application will be determined after a formal hearing. The applicant and anyone who made a representation will be invited to attend. Details are available in our code of practice below.

Apply for a...



Licensing Act 2003

A list of the applications received in the past week along with licences issued can be viewed on our Open Data website - using the quick links at the top of this page.

Where there is a period where representations can be made about an application the date by which this should be received is in the last column of the table.

If you wish to view a copy of the application, you can request this by email:

Also attached is a list of the licences and permissions issued during same week. These lists will be updated every week.