Employment and Skills Plans (ESPs) are now sought for all large scale major planning applications.
ESPSs seek to ensure that there are local employment and skills opportunities and benefits derived from construction projects that take place in the city.
Core Strategy Policy CS10 states "The city council will promote local labour agreements with developers to enable local people in deprived communities to secure employment and skills development."
Pre-construction and construction phase
Guidance for developers/contractors
An ESP will be sought for all large scale major planning applications as follows:
- Housing developments of 200 units or more, or site area four hectares or more
- Commercial developments with a floor space of 10,000 square metres or more, or site area two hectares or more
ESPs will be secured through either a condition or a section 106 agreement. For developments below the size mentioned above, applicants will be invited to develop and deliver an ESP as good practice but on a voluntary basis.
The Constructing Leicester employment and skills strategy sets out our requirement for ESPs to be embedded into the planning and procurement process for construction projects. We have received National Skills Academy for Construction accreditation, and though its Constructing Leicester Employment and Skills Strategy, has adopted industry agreed national benchmarks for its ESPs.
The strategy forms part of a suite of three documents:
- Employment and skills plan - strategy (PDF)
- Informal guidance note on employment and skills plan (PDF)
- Employment and skills plan for construction and post-construction projects (2018) (PDF)
Guidance for organisations owning/managing the developments
An ESP will be sought for post-construction activities e.g. staff recruitment prior to new store opening.
Information for individuals
Find out more details about developments by selecting a case study below:
- Cathedral Gardens - case study (PDF)
- City Hall - case study (PDF)
- Leicester to Work - case study (PDF)
Educational and employment opportunities
Please use the links below to find opportunities and further information within the construction sector:
- Leicester Employment Hub
- Leicester College
- Jobcentre Plus
- DSM Demolition - case study presentation (PDF)
- Employer talk: Embedding employability in the curriculum - case study (PDF)
- Local students visit Southgates construction site (PDF)
- Soar Valley College students visit Welford Place development (PDF)
- Lewis Osborne - Caxton Builders (Midlands) Ltd (PDF)
For more information about Constructing Leicester, please email Sandra Rieger, or call her on 0116 454 2942.
Alternatively, email Michael Rose or call him on 0116 454 2947.