Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles
Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles aims to improve the oral health of children and adults in Leicester, and reduce tooth decay and associated health issues.
National Smile Month (18 May to 18 June)
We are encouraging people across Leicester to take part from home. Tuesday 19 May is ‘Tooth Tickling Tuesday’ and we would love to see your funny toothbrushing photos! You could dress up in a costume or stand in the garden whilst brushing your teeth, it’s up to you! Send in your pictures by using the hashtag #SmileLeicester or by emailing them to us at email@example.com.
We also have an activity pack for younger children to complete, which you can download at the bottom of this page. Remember in lockdown it is as important as ever to brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day.
Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles aims to provide:
- Free toothbrushes and toothpaste for children in oral health packs. All children in the city will receive five oral health care packs by the time they are five, which contain a toothbrush, fluoride toothpaste and oral health information
- Free baby bottle swaps in all of our children, young people and families centres
- Supervised toothbrushing. Many of our early years settings (aged 0-5) take part in our free supervised toothbrushing programme where your children will learn how to brush their teeth properly every day.
What can I do to improve my child's oral health?
There are a number of simple steps you can take:
- take your child to see the dentist before they are one and go regularly
- brush your child's teeth as soon as the first tooth appears
- brush at least twice a day
- don't rinse after brushing just spit the toothpaste out
- use a fluoride toothpaste
- ask your dentist about fluoride varnish
- limit sugary drinks and snacks to meal times only.
You can also view and download our free oral health resources.
To find out how to access these services, contact our oral health team:
- Oral health team:
- Robin Chipperfield - Oral Health Promoter
- Amy Robinson - Children's Programme Assistant
Accredited Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles dental practices
The following dental practices in Leicester are accredited family-friendly dental practices and have demonstrated their commitment to improving children’s oral health in the city
|Practice name||Address||Tel number|
|Moti Smile Design Centre||286 Aylestone Road, LE2 7QT||0116 283 2334|
|Saffron Lane Dental Practice||591 Saffron Lane, LE2 6UN||0116 283 2612|
|Willowbrook Dental Practice||339 Humberstone Road, LE5 3DF||0116 262 1151|
|JDRM Dental Care Limited||10 Nelson St, LE1 7BA||0116 296 1473|
|JDRM Dental Care Limited||5 Roman St, LE3 0BD||0116 296 1478|
|Smilecare||72 Beaumont Leys Lane, LE4 2BA||0116 266 1422|
|Splendental Dental Care||498 Narborough Rd, LE3 2FU||0116 289 1078|
|Smile Dental Practitioners||222 Uppingham Road, LE5 0QG||0116 246 0795|
|Parkview Dental Practice||138 Victoria Park Rd, LE2 1XD||0116 270 1116|
|The Whitehouse Dental||36 East Park Road, LE5 5HH||0116 273 0456|
|Gohills Dental Practice||194 East Park Rd, LE5 5FD||0116 273 8710|
|Practices working towards their accreditation||Address||Tel number|
|Winchester Avenue Dental Surgery||34 Winchester Avenue, LE3 1AU||0116 291 0055|