Skip to content

Coronavirus in Leicester - ALPHA

Get the latest information and advice

Transport and parking services

For all the latest changes to our services due to coronavirus, go to our service updates page.

Enquire about a dropped kerb

A dropped kerb is used to give access to vehicles from a road, across the pavement and onto a driveway or parking area.

Please note the current processing time for enquiries is approximately 12 weeks, and you may not hear from us during this period.

You should not drive over the grass verge or pavement onto your property if you don't have a crossing.

Do I need a dropped kerb?

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the pavement into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have a dropped kerb, you must not drive over the pavement. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent this. As a result:

  • You may become liable for a collision with a pedestrian.
  • You may become liable for damage to the pavement.
  • You may face considerable costs as a result of damage to any utility apparatus under the pavement.

What is the cost of an application?

There is an initial, non-refundable application fee of £50. If your application is approved, then a further, non-refundable payment of £100 (permit to construct fee) will be required before the permit is issued.

Do I need planning permission?

You are responsible for all planning permissions that may be required. You must get in touch with our planning team before any works commence. There are several scenarios whereby planning permission may be required as follows: 

  • Access is onto the classified road network (marked as A, B, C).
  • Where no buildings are present on the land, for example when it is a field.
  • Conservation areas.
  • The property is listed (may not be required but the applicant shall check it).
  • Your private hardstanding is more than 5sqm² and impermeable.

If your site needs planning approval, you must enclose a copy of the valid planning consent and approved site plans with your application.

What documents should I provide with my application for approval?

For all application, the following must be submitted:

If your site requires planning permission (which will be investigated throughout the application process), you will need to submit valid planning consent.

Are there any requirements for hardstanding (driveway) linked to a dropped kerb?

The dropped kerb cannot be used until the hardstanding is completed and meets the following parameters.

  • You should ensure that a dropped kerb can be constructed before you carry out your hardstanding construction. 
  • The size of the hardstanding should normally be at least 4.5 metres long and 2.4 metres wide for a 3m dropped kerb, or to suit the width of your dropped kerb. It should set out at 90° to the carriageway. Hardstandings that are 4 to 4.5 metres long will be assessed, but your application may be refused. 
  • Loose material may be used for the hardstanding with a hard strip of tarmac, concrete or block pavers at least 500mm wide at the property boundary and we also encourage use of a porous, bound material such as concrete block permeable paving.

You should only use permeable materials to construct your hardstanding, to ensure that rainwater is contained within your property boundary. Otherwise a drainage system may be required. You will need planning permission to surface your parking area with a non-permeable material such as traditional tarmac or blocks. For more advice please see guidance on permeable surfacing of front gardens on GOV.UK.

How do I apply?

General points to note

In some cases, particularly if the access is to a classified road, planning permission may be necessary.

Are you a council tenant?

Council tenants interested in a dropped kerb should email a request to the Tenants Advice Centre or by writing to 91 Granby Street, Leicester, LE1 6FG to the attention of your housing officer. The letter should confirm that you have permission to proceed with the application for a dropped kerb.