Advice and guidance
Get help and advice on additional support you may be able to receive and any changes that may affect you.
Help with travel costs
We also offer some travel assistance for those registered unemployed. Travel aid is a concessionary travel pass available for Leicester residents who are registered unemployed, to help them seek work. Find out about concessionary travel for unemployed people.
Where can I go for help and advice?
There are a number of ways people can continue to get advice during the coronavirus crisis. Please be aware that waiting times for these services may be longer than usual.
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire
The support available is free, independent and confidential and covers a range of advice, including; debt and budgeting, housing, employment, family issues, immigration and community care.There are a number of ways people can continue to get advice during the coronavirus crisis.
- General advice can be given over the phone by an advisor from 9am until 4.30pm Monday to Friday, on 0300 330 1025.
- Contact an advisor online by visiting the Citizens Advice LeicesterShire website and filling in a webform or by contacting the local team.
- Anyone seeking to make a new claim for Universal Credit should call the Universal Credit Help to Claim line on 0800 1448444.
Community Advice and Law Service
Free, independent and confidential support for people with specialist welfare benefits, debt and housing issues.
- Advice can be given over the phone on 0116 242 1120, from 9am-5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am – 4.30pm on Fridays.
- Contact an advisor online by visiting the Community Advice and Law Service website and filling in a webform.
Advice for service providers
Social Welfare Advice Partnership (SWAP)
We host a bi-monthly forum for various organisations that offer advice in Leicester. SWAP aims to allow regular communication between advice providers. The group discuss any information, issues or future changes to Leicester's advice services. The group is important to us, as members work closely the public to understand how local and national changes impact on you and your communities.
You can nominate your organisation to join SWAP by sending us an email.
Please note that SWAP meetings have been temporarily suspended.