Community support grant
The community support grant scheme (CSG) is available to support vulnerable people experiencing financial hardship. Due to the coronavirus pandemic we have made changes to the scheme . We continue to support the most vulnerable people in the city. Applicants will need to demonstrate that they are in financial hardship brought about by a one-off and sudden misfortune.
We are temporarily suspending the offer of support grants which were for items such as furniture.
We have also made changes to the way you make a claim for food and fuel vouchers to make sure you receive these as quickly as possible.
We are experiencing very high volumes of enquiries, so please be patient.
The community support grants scheme for crisis applications can help with the following:
- vouchers for gas and electricity for customers with a prepayment meter and responsibility for a utility supply in Leicester
Please be aware we do not provide cash.
In order to be considered, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You have no funds for your immediate daily essentials such as food, gas and electricity.
- You must be over 16.
- You must be a resident of Leicester.
- You need to have suffered a sudden and unexpected financial misfortune.
- You need to be able to demonstrate your circumstances and may be required to provide evidence to support this.
Tips for submitting an application
- The application will be completed over the phone and will take around 20 minutes to complete.
- Ensure you have details to hand like your national insurance number, full address (including postcode) and details of your income.
- Evidence, such as bank statements and identification, may be required to support your application.
- Each case will be treated on its own merits and all customers will receive equal and fair treatment.
How to submit a crisis application
To make a claim for crisis support, people should email their name and contact number to C19support@leicester.gov.uk.
Our staff will then call back between 9.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, and the application will be completed over the phone.
If eligible, how do I access my award?If your application is successful:
- utility vouchers will be emailed directly to you or a trusted family member or friend. You will then redeem the voucher to top up your gas or electricity
- food can be collected by appointment from our city centre food stop. Please note that the food stop has implemented Covid-secure guidelines. You will need to follow social distancing and wear a face covering when attending unless you have a valid exemption.