Skip to content

Get financial support

Need advice on your council tax, business rates or housing benefit? Find out how we can help.

Council tax support

Every working-age household has to pay towards their council tax. Council tax support will help to pay up to 80 per cent of your council tax bill if you are on a low income and have savings less than £6000. Pension-age council tax support can help towards 100 per cent of your council tax bill if you are on a low income and have savings less than £16000. You must apply for support.

What does the scheme take account of? 

  • Your needs
  • Your capital
  • Your household income
  • Band of your property
  • Upper limit - The maximum council tax support is 80 per cent of the charge for your council tax band.
  • Minimum amount - If your reduction, when calculated, is less than £3.70 per week, no reduction will be awarded.  

The full rules governing our scheme are available at the bottom of this page. In summary: 

  • You now have to contribute at least 20 per cent towards your council tax bill – about £255 a year for a band A property – no matter what benefits you receive.
  • Council tax support has been capped to a band B value – currently £1,489.77. This means that if you live in a property that is above band B the most you will receive is £1,191.81.
  • You will have to pay the full council tax bill if you have more than £6,000 or £16,000 if you are of pensionable age in savings or investments (some savings/investments are exempt).
  • We will only pay towards the council tax bill when you are awarded more than £3.70 per week through the scheme.
  • We have removed the second adult rebate, where some people used to get a reduction on their council tax bill if another adult, who wasn’t their partner, lived with them. 

Other support to help pay your council tax

Our council tax discretionary relief scheme could also help if you are struggling to pay your council tax. 

Universal Credit 

If you have applied for Universal Credit and you are liable for council tax you will still need to apply for council tax support. Find out more on our Universal Credit section.

Please contact us to discuss your account whilst your claim for Universal Credit is being assessed.