Skip to content

Discretionary payments

We run Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) and Council Tax Discretionary Relief (CTDR) schemes for city residents who need help with their housing costs or council tax.

What are Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)?

DHPs can help if you need assistance with your housing costs. They are paid by us in addition to any housing benefit you may be entitled to - up to the maximum of your rent liability. You must get at least 50p in housing benefit to apply for a DHP. If you are entitled to the housing element of universal credit for your rent, you can also apply for a DHP.

What is Council Tax Discretionary Relief (CTDR)?

CTDR can help if you cannot afford to pay all of your council tax bill. CTDR is normally paid in addition to our local council tax support scheme (council tax support).

Council tax support is a means-tested local reduction. If you are struggling to pay any shortfall in your council tax support - please apply for CTDR. CTDR can also be considered in rare situations if you do not receive council tax support.

If you wish to make a claim for council tax support, you can do so using the link below:

What support can I get?

DHP/CTDR awards are usually only paid for a short period, to give you time to get over a temporary lack of income, while you look for:

  • different accommodation
  • find a lodger to share your bills or;
  • get financial advice to help with your debts or budgeting.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for DHP, you must need extra financial help, and be entitled to either housing benefit or Universal Credit with a housing costs element. To be eligible for CTDR, you must be named on the council tax bill at your address and be in severe financial hardship. For more information on Universal Credit please see link below:

You might need a DHP or CTDR because:

  • your benefits have been capped;
  • you are having to pay more in housing costs as you are now considered to have a spare bedroom;
  • you are at risk of becoming homeless and we are looking at alternative housing for you;
  • you are struggling to pay the 20 per cent minimum council tax payment due to your current financial circumstances.

How to apply

To make an application for both DHP, CTDR or both, please see the quick link at the top of this page.

You will need to provide your last two months current bank statements, Credit Union or Post Office statements. This is essential - no decision will be made on your claim unless these are provided.

If you are applying online you can attach your statements electronically.

If you are unable to claim online, please download and complete the form at the bottom of this page.

Please do not send this by post as our main office at is temporarily closed, instead you can either scan or take photographs of your application form and your bank, Credit Union or Post Office statements and attach them to an email to, you must put ‘DHP/CTDR Application’ in the subject area of the email.’