Skip to content

Coronavirus in Leicester (ALPHA Test site)

Get the latest information and advice

Apply to join the housing register

To apply for a council home in Leicester, you must register with our choice-based lettings scheme. There are restrictions on who can apply. Using our enquiry form, you can find out if you qualify to join the housing register, and if you do you can go on to complete a full housing application form.


Leicester City Council tenants and housing association tenants

As well as applying to join the Housing Register, Council and Housing Association Tenants can also apply for mutual exchanges. You can join our partner service, HomeSwapper.

The idea behind HomeSwapper is simple.  People can swap their homes and tenancies with each other. For example, someone living in a home that is too big for them can swap with someone living in a home that is too small for them. The end result is that both people will have a home that is of the right size. This is called a ‘mutual exchange’.


Housing associations

Housing associations are independent, non-profit-making organisations that provide homes for people in need. Some Housing Associations advertise some or all of their properties through Leicester HomeChoice, but some keep their own lists.  You can apply to them directly. 

If you do not qualify to join our housing register, you may still qualify to join one of the housing association’s independent registers.

If you do qualify to join our housing register, you can still widen your housing options by applying to housing associations too.