Christmas grants for pubs
The government recently announced a one-off £1,000 Christmas grant for ‘wet-led pubs’ whose income is not mainly driven by food sales, to help businesses missing out on Christmas trade.
To be eligible for the Christmas grant, pubs must:
- under normal circumstances (without local or national restrictions) be open to the general public, allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided, allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed and permit drinks to be purchased at a bar.
- derive less than 50% of their income from sales of food. Accounting evidence dated no later than 11 March 2020, covering a reasonable period when trade was not affected by Covid-19, must be provided as evidence. If the pub started trading more recently, then more recent accounts should be provided.
The definition of a pub for the purposes of this grant excludes restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, hotels, snack bars, guesthouses, boarding houses, sporting venues, music venues, festival sites, theatres, museums, exhibition halls, cinemas, concert halls and casinos.
Applications must be made by 31 January 2021.
Businesses eligible for this grant will usually also be eligible for the local restrictions support grants for closed and open businesses (the national lockdown and tier 2 or tier 3 grants). If you haven’t already applied for one or both of these, please do so now.
Applications for this wet-led pubs grant should be made by email to email@example.com
- the pub name and address
- the name of the person making the application
- your contact phone number
- rates account number
- a statement confirming that the pub meets the wet-led pub eligibility
- a statement confirming you meet the state aid and trading criteria. See 'Who can apply?' above for details.
IMPORTANT - Accounting evidence must also be attached to the email, we cannot process the application without this. See 'Who can apply?' above for details.
Bank account details are not required as the grant will be paid to the account details we already hold.
For more information see our policy attached below.