Residential care and nursing support for care home residents
Information and guidance to help care home staff and NHS staff to support care home residents during the coronavirus outbreak.
Visiting guidelines for care homes
Our priority remains to prevent infections in care homes and protect staff and residents from the avoidable risk of contracting COVID-19 which can have a devastating impact if it spreads through a care home. However, we also recognise the importance of allowing care home residents to safely meet their loved ones for their own wellbeing as well as the wellbeing of friends, family and staff. We also recognise that each resident and care home is unique therefore a one size fits all approach is not suitable.
The following guidance offers an approach that care homes can use to ensure that all the necessary and appropriate precautions are in place to protect both the health & safety of those being cared for and the staff employed in the service.
- Read the Guidelines for visitors to residential and nursing homes in Leicestershire, Leicester City and Rutland (PDF)
- Read our advice to care homes on visiting arrangements for residents receiving end of life care
- Print the example risk assessment form(PDF)
- Print and use the COVID-19 screening questionnaire for care home visitors (PDF)
Whole care home testingAll registered care homes in England can apply for coronavirus tests. Care homes can register via the online portal.
Webinars for care homes are taking place regularly each weekday (morning and afternoon)on the whole home swab testing process.
Care homes - Please join and update the NE CSU bed capacity tracker
Most of you are already registered to provide information on your vacancies using the Bed Capacity Tracker. During the COVID-19 outbreak, the tracker will be used to help to identify vacancies for people needing short and long-term care, and for national capacity planning.
Please register on the tracker if you have not already done so and support colleagues in the wider system by keeping your vacancies information up to date.
- Watch this YouTube video to find out to register a care home
- Watch this YouTube video to find out how to update your vacancies
Internet connection deals for care homes
As a care provider you may need to improve your internet connection to use technology more during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The NHS have created a page listing new internet deals available specifically for care homes which suppliers will fast-track to set up for you.
COVID-19 and diabetes management in care homesCOVID-19 can cause a serious acute illness in people with diabetes. If you provide care and support for someone with diabetes, the following guide has been designed to support you in clinical decision-making.
Guidance on caring for older adults
- Read the Health Innovation Network’s guide on Maintaining Activities for Older Adults during COVID-19 (PDF)
- Read the British Geriatric Society’s guide on Managing the COVID-19 pandemic in care homes for older people
Managing COVID-19 symptoms (including at the end of life) in the community
Read the NICE guideline, which includes information on managing COVID-19 symptoms, planning care and treatment, and end-of-life care.