Join the neighbourhood improvement team
The neighbourhood improvement team offers skills, qualifications and employment to people who are out of work.
The team works in the community, clearing grot-spots and improving the local area. Book the team to carry out some work or apply to join the programme.
For more information, speak to your advisors at the job centre; call us on 0116 454 5316 or email us.
Joining the team
If you are out of work, the neighbourhood improvement team may be able to offer you a route back to employment. You can apply for a position directly, or be referred by Job Centre Plus. There are 40 positions per year available on the team.
Once you have applied or been referred, and are accepted onto the scheme, you will complete an eight-week course at Leicester College. Here, you will gain skills and recognised qualifications in eleven areas:
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme Labourer's card
- Institute of Occupational Safety and Health Working Safely
- Leicester College Construction Course
- HABC level 2 award in Health and Safety in the workplace
- HABC level 2 award in Emergency First Aid at Work (QCF)
- HABC level 2 award in Customer Service (QCF)
- Ascentis level 2 award in Food safety in Catering (QCF)
- Ascentis level 1 award in Health and Safety (QCF)
- Applying for employment, preparation and delivery
- BTEC level 1 certificate in workskills (QCF)
- Ascentis level 1 award in Managing Personal Finance (QCF).
Learners who complete the full course are offered an interview for two days’ work experience with the neighbourhood improvement team. After completing this work experience, a second, more formal interview will assess whether a candidate is right for a full-time role with the team. Contracts are offered for six month periods.
Please download the PDF at the bottom of this page for more information on how the scheme works, the qualifications you will gain and the type of work undertaken.
Booking the team
If you would like to book the neighbourhood improvement team to carry out some work in your community, please contact your local housing office. Work taken on includes:
- clearing overgrown areas
- tidying unsightly spots
- cleaning UPVC cladding
- Removal of rubbish/waste