Temporary street cafe licence
To support local businesses we are introducing a temporary street cafe licence which will enable you to provide outdoor seating, in line with our terms and conditions. The licence is valid for one year with the scheme ending in September 2021. This process comes under the Business and Planning Act 2020. Please note that street cafés cannot be used during the national lockdown.
Ensure you have read through the guidance on this page and our conditions (PDF) to ensure your proposed application meets the requirements.
There are local conditions and requirements to be met prior to any determination of a temporary licence.
- There must be a minimum width of two metres of footway remaining for pedestrians after your proposed street café ends.
- You must hold public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million.
- You need to provide clear diagrams showing your proposal, taking into consideration social distancing measures. See example diagram (PDF).
- You must provide pictures/designs of the proposed street furniture (tables, chairs, parasols, barriers etc)
- Check if there are there any pop-up cycling/walking lanes or highway street schemes that would prevent
- Consider the times and days you are applying for.
- Follow all instructions and guidance from us to ensure an efficient application process.
Any granted (12 month) licence may be amended from the proposed numbers and times on application.
The fee is £100, however we have secured grant funding that will cover the cost on your behalf. No payment is required from you.
You can apply for the temporary licence online.
Please do ensure all required supporting documents are provided. Failure to do so may result in the application being rejected.
For every application, the following will be consulted: Leicestershire Police, Leicester City Council; highways, traffic, noise pollution and planning teams as well as local ward councillors.
You will be notified by email if your application is successful.
If an application is refused, there is no statutory appeal against the decision.
A street cafe furnishings grant is also available. For more information about this grant, go to the street cafe furnishings grant page.