Rights and participation service
Listening to you is really important to us. Our rights and participation team work to support and empower young people to be involved in and shape decisions that affect their lives. This includes how we plan, deliver and evaluate services for children, young people and parents.
What is participation?
Participation is about giving young people the opportunity to have their voices heard and to support them to make decisions for themselves.
For children and young people there are very clear laws which say they should have a right to participate. Article 12 of The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child says every young person has the right to express their views, feelings and wishes in all matters affecting them and to have those views considered and taken seriously
How we can help
We help children and young people aged between 5 to 25. By listening to your opinions, concerns and views, we aim to ensure that we provide services that meet your needs and improve the way we work.
We do this by providing a range of services which include:
- Supporting children and young people who are part of child protection processes or who are looked after by the local authority to have their voices heard in meetings held about them.
- Providing support through our participation groups.
- Supporting children and young people who are looked after by the local authority to make a complaint about a service they receive through our Children’s Rights offer.
Our participation groups
We support you to help shape services through a number of different participation groups:
- Young People's Council
- Big Mouth Forum
- Children in Care Generation Select Committee
- Care Experienced Consultants
Support for parents
We also support parents who attend Early Help services to have a say on provision and to support other parents, this is delivered through our parent champion programme.
Get in touch
Bez Martin - Rights & Participation Service Manager
- Write to us: Town Hall, Room 2.15, Leicester, LE1 9BG
- Ring: 07710 148 497
- Send an email: Bez.email@example.com