Skip to content

Delays in planning services

We are experiencing high numbers of planning applications and requests for pre application advice. We apologise for any delays in responses to emails, calls and updates on other queries. Find out about new procedures we have in place to overcome these challenges

Apply for building regulations approval

Building plan

You can apply for building regulations approval either through the full plans process, or with a building notice depending on the type and complexity of the work involved.

Full plans process

This is when the person wishing to carry out the work, or their agent, submits plans showing full construction details of the work. This method must be used where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) order is applicable or where a Severn Trent Water sewer may be involved. You will receive a formal decision after the checking process has taken place. An approval notice can be presented to those such as financial institutions, solicitors, surveyors when seeking loans or moving home. You will also have the assurance that providing the work is carried out in accordance with the approved plans the regulations will be satisfied.

Building notice procedure

The building notice procedure is useful for carrying out work on smaller projects and also where the person carrying out the work is familiar with the regulation's requirements. It enables work to proceed quickly without the deposit of plans. It may not be used for certain projects such as flats with a common area, shops and offices, where the regulations make requirements for means of escape in case of fire, and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order is applicable. It also cannot be used if you are building in the vicinity of a Severn Trent sewer.

Detailed plans are not usually required resulting savings in time and cost.    

You must feel confident that the works comply with the building regulations or you risk having to correct it after inspection. You may have to submit plans and calculations at a later stage. No approval notice will be issued, though if works are considered satisfactory you will get a completion certificate.

How do I apply?

Applications will need to be accompanied by the required fee so you will need your card details available. Note that on the full plans process, regularisations and reverted work, further fees may be due at a later date for which you (or the allocated payee) will be invoiced. Plans, specifications and details (and a block plan if available) can be uploaded as part of the process.

Applications can be made directly to us through the link below, or via the Planning Portal website, or alternatively by using the email provided below.


Contact us