Skip to content

Delays in planning services

We are experiencing high numbers of planning applications and requests for pre application advice. We apologise for any delays in responses to emails, calls and updates on other queries. Find out about new procedures we have in place to overcome these challenges

Starting building work

Building work must be inspected during its progress and sufficient notice must be given to enable us to arrange site visits.

What work is covered?

This applies to work under both the full plans and building notice procedures. You will be notified in writing about the expected inspections for the building work you propose. This is partially dependent upon the builder and sub-contractors employed, so it will help you if you provide us with as much information as you can regarding them.

What do I need to do next?

Complete the commencement notice provided with your approval or building notice acceptance letter and return it to us before you start work, preferably two days prior to starting. Alternatively you can call us with the details.

You should contact your nominated building control surveyor. Inspection requests can be made by telephone or online, and same day inspections will be made if the request is made before 10am. If you require an appointment at a specific time please give as much notice as possible.

Unless you have already paid the inspection fee in full, after the first inspection you will be invoiced for the outstanding inspection fee(s).

Repeat inspections

Should repeated inspections be required you may be charged for additional inspections. This is important to bear in mind when choosing your builder. If your application form indicated that you would use an electrician registered with a competent persons scheme and it subsequently turns out that the electrician is not able to self-certify through the scheme, you may incur an additional charge.

When works are complete

On completion of the work you should obtain a completion certificate as evidence of the work having been inspected. We may not be able to issue a completion certificate until the following certification or notification has been received:

  • A BS7671 electrical installation and test certificate from the installing electrician; or
  • A Part P electrical compliance certificate registered and issued through the competent persons scheme to the local authority
  • A gas safe certificate for any gas installation, issued to us through the gas safe scheme provider
  • Other certification may also be required dependent upon the work carried out, for example; sound test results, air permeability test results, energy performance certificate.  

You are advised to ensure your surveyor is satisfied that the work complies before paying your contractor.

Contact us

We prefer enquiries to be emailed where possible

Send us a message

Write to us: Leicester City Building Control, Phoenix House, 1 King Street, Leicester, LE1 6RN
Ring us: 0116 454 3160