Skip to content

Delays in planning services

We are experiencing high numbers of planning applications and requests for pre application advice. We apologise for any delays in responses to emails, calls and updates on other queries. Find out about new procedures we have in place to overcome these challenges

Prior notifications

Since 30 May 2013, the government changed the permitted development rights to allow householders, to be able to build larger single storey rear extensions; and allow more flexibility under permitted development for the change of use of commercial premises, subject to a notification procedure with the local planning authority.

Larger home extensions

The changes now allow:

  • detached homes to extend up to 8 metres to the rear
  • all other homes to extend up to 6 metres to the rear.

The process applies to single storey extensions to the rear only.

This change will not apply within conservation areas, areas where permitted development rights have been removed, or to flats or maisonettes.

You will still need to notify us of your plans before starting work and we will also still need to notify your neighbours of your proposals. We will then let you know if you can proceed.

You will also still need to ensure that your proposal meets all of the other requirements of the legislation. The technical guidance which accompanies the legislation can help you with this. You can find the technical guidance for permitted development rights at GOV.UK.

If you need to notify us of the intention to build a larger single storey rear extension, or would like to view guidance notes for help completing the notification and fee you need to pay, use the Planning Portal website link below under the category 'Notification for Prior Approval of a Proposed Larger Home Extension':

View guidance notes and application form on the Planning Portal website

Look under the category 'Notification for Prior Approval of a Proposed Larger Home Extension'


Further changes of use and other prior notifications

The government has relaxed the use Classes Order to allow changes of use to residential and for commercial premises to other uses without the need for full planning permission. However, there is still a requirement to submit information to the local planning authority.

To view further advice on the categories of prior notification, guidance on the process, fees and to download a form, use the link below. 


How to submit your form and payment

Completed forms and related information should be emailed to us at  as the local planning authority. Once we have registered your notification, we will email you to request payment which can be done over the phone if applicable.

Temporary changes of use prior notification

There is also an option to temporarily change the use of a building from retail (A1), financial/professional service (A2), café/restaurant (A3), drinking establishment (A4), hot food take away (A5), office (B1), non-residential institution (D1) and assembly/leisure (D2) to retail (A1), financial/professional service (A2), café/restaurant (A3) or office (B1) for a period of three years. This can only be done provided the building is not listed and the floor space does not exceed 150 square metres. The change can only be done once. 

If you wish to carry out this change, you must notify us by email to  before the use is started by emailing the:

  • site address
  • current use of the building
  • intended use for the building
  • proposed start/opening date.

There is no charge for this notification.

Please note that this allowance is for the use only. Any proposed works to the building including the installation of an extraction system will require separate planning permission.