Skip to content

Housing benefit

You might be able to claim housing benefit to help you pay towards your rent if you are on a low income, regardless of being employed or unemployed.

What can you claim in Leicester?

The amount that you can claim depends on a number of things:

  • the amount of rent you pay
  • if you rent privately or from a council or housing association
  • your household income and savings.

The amount you may receive will also be limited depending on whether you live in a property which is appropriate for your needs, and you are not under-occupying.

If you live in private sector housing, the amount that you can claim depends on the average rents in your area.

Who can claim housing benefit?

You can apply for housing benefit if:

  • you pay rent.
  • you’re on a low income or claim other benefits
  • you have less than £16,000 in savings, property or shares.

You can claim if you live with a partner – but only one of you can claim.

Do I need to apply? 

You must make an online claim for housing benefit and council tax support using the link above.

If you have recently made a claim for employment and support allowance, income support or jobseekers' allowance, you will still need to make a separate claim for housing benefit and council tax support.

If you have claimed universal credit, help with your rent will be paid through your monthly universal credit payment. However, you will still have to make on online claim for council tax support.

How will my benefit be paid?

If you are in private accommodation the money will be paid directly to you unless you tell us you are unable to manage your finances. If you are in council or Housing Association accommodation, in most cases the money will be paid directly into your rent account.

Universal Credit

If you are already claiming benefits you don't need to do anything - your benefits will continue as usual. You will be told when it will affect you. For more information see our section on Universal Credit.

What other help is available?